Posted Sunday, June 14, 2015
Below is a two-part audio discussion of today by your faithful Editor, Chris Temple, explaining this past Friday’s convoluted vote in the U.S. House of Representatives which technically derailed — for the time being — the granting of “fast track” trade and TREATY negotiating powers to President Obama (and the next president.)
SEGMENT ONE – The mechanics of Friday’s House vote, and why Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) failed…for the moment
SEGMENT TWO — What’s at stake (in other words, what is it that the Powers-that-Be want to make possible VIA the Trojan Horse of Fast Track/TPA authority?)
And for those who want to have a more detailed understanding of what’s what, below are what I think are the “best of the best” articles and posts from others on various aspects of these issues, selected from literally hundreds of items I have read and gone over myself (so that YOU don’t have to!)
* “Why Fast Track Isn’t Free Trade: Today’s Agreements aren’t focused on lowering barriers, but harmonizing global regulations at the cost of sovereignty.” (from The American Conservative)
* This from Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) — CRITICAL ALERT: Fast Track would pre-approve formation of sweeping transnational union.
* This from Rare – America’s News Feed — Rejection of Obama trade deal shows how left-right alliance is beating establishment Washington
* This from The Independent — TTIP: Here’s why MEP’s have been protesting it, and why you should too.
* This from Forbes magazine — Leaked TISA documents reveal privacy threat.